Our Experience with Nocardioform Placentitis, Part 1

Kelly Mount shares: “Our Experience with Nocardioform Placentitis” in The Main Central Jin Shin Jyutsu Newsletter, issue Number 74, Fall 2011:


March 20, 2011: We had a colt born five weeks early this year. Evidently there is some sort of bacteria infecting the placenta that is causing the mares to bag and foal early. They really don’t know why, but they are attributing it to the dry summer and wet cold winter. A few years ago there was a similar phenomenon attributed to cherry trees, but, again, they don’t really know. Thankfully due to the quick actions of his caretakers, a handful of vets and, of course, Jin Shin Jyutsu, he is still alive today!

Upon discovering the early birth of the colt out in the field, they assumed he would not be alive. At five weeks early, the lungs as well as the bones are still developing. He was unable to stand up but able to lift his little head. They loaded him onto a flat bed truck and transported him up to the barn. My trainer, Nelson Green, sat on the back of an ATV in the stall next to the mare holding him up so he could nurse for the first six hours of his life. Dr. Friend came out to their farm, which is located outside of Lexington, KY, and got him stable enough to move to the neonatal unit at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital. There Dr. Barr and her wonderful team of assistants tended to him day and night every two hours around-the-clock, caring for him for the last three weeks. Radiographs proved that he did have bones that were forming, and they would help get him up from his baby bed every two hours to nurse for the first week of his life until he could stand on his own.

They had another young filly come into the clinic at the same prematurity who did not have formed bones and did not make it. There have been hundreds of casualties already in Kentucky and we were one of the first to witness this phenomenon of premature births.

Since the hospital is about an hour away from where we live, it was a couple of days before I was able to make it over to see him. On my first visit when our colt was about 5 days old, I was able to get my hands on him and imprint him with my touch. Respectfully, I treated my mare holding the first step of the 13 Flow, sending my love and energy to the colt. I was then able to come back at around 10 days, and he was standing and nursing on his own! However he was showing signs of colic because he was drinking too much of his mother’s rich milk, and they had to put a muzzle on him and allow him to nurse every two hours. This time I utilized the 13 Flow again on my mare, and I utilized the Reversing and Increasing of First Depth, the Stomach Flow and the Supervisor Flow on the colt. About two days later he colicked and nearly died. Once again his dedicated team kept him alive. They thought at first he might be lactose intolerant, but they discovered as little as he was that reaching up to nurse was creating too many air bubbles and too much gas, thus causing the colic. I did speak to Adele Leas, and she really thought I should use the Spleen Flow to assist the body in absorption of the nutrients. She also suggested the right 14 with the left 1.

To be continued…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.